Wednesday, July 14, 2010

MINT Chocolate

I've been wanting to try this frosting technique for awhile now. I finally got around to it and had an epic failure on my hands. The first few times I tried dipping the cupcakes, the tops and/or frosting just fell off into the melted chocolate. Then I tried freezing the cupcakes before dipping them which seemed to help some.



















All-in-all I was disappointed in more than the process. I indulged in one of the few that did manage to stay in one piece and all that added chocolate just made the top way too heavy for the cake. Luckily, most of the cupcakes I made were normal (as in cake on bottom frosting on top).





















Each time I bake I consider it a learning experience. This time around I learned that mint extract is stronger than most other extracts. I used half of the amount I usually use and thought it was too much. I didn't want to feel like I was eating a big mound of toothpaste. I was also reminded of how concentrate gel food coloring is. That stuff is potent- baleedat!

1 comment:

Candace said...

I liked them! You're right about the chocolate being heavy, but if you could make that coating thinner it would be AWESOME. I think that's a techinque you need to perfect!