Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW DECADE!

I hope everyone enjoyed bringing in the new year! I stumbled across this poem the other day written by my cousin, Lydia, about my Mamaw. Those of you who knew her will appreciate this and those who did not will get a glimpse of her spirit. The kind we all strive to achieve when we make resolutions to become better people.

Mamaw's Egg Rolls
Blues music fills the house.
Mamaw must be cooking.
I fall back asleep to be awakened by the smell of egg rolls frying.
I walk into the kitchen blinking from the bright light
Where Mamaw smiles and says, "Hi, Honey. Get you an egg roll."
"Okay, Mamaw," I say.
I have to hurry because egg rolls don't last long in Mamaw's house.
I pick up one perfectly browned egg roll.
I hear Papaw whistling through the house.
He stops to dance with me in my pajamas on the way by...egg roll still in hand.
I finish my egg roll and pick up the spoon, wet three sides of egg roll wrapper, carefully lay a
line of meat down the center, and roll it all up.
I try to seal the ends by poking them in with my finger, but they are never as perfect as
Mamaw's.
I hand her my sloppy egg roll to fry, apologizing for its condition.
Mamaw pats my back and says, "You do a better job than I do, sweetie."
"No I don't, Mamaw," but she insists that I roll the rest anyway.

No comments: